Monday 26 November 2012

New kitchen, new Kitchenaid!!



We are finally moved and settled into our new house and I have a new oven (electric rather than gas that I’m used to) and my new Kitchenaid to explore (thank you gorgeous hubby!). I thought I would give it a whirl and make some little coffee and walnut cakes (a family favourite)! I am SO in love with my Kitchenaid and was amazed at it’s mixing pattern, definitely makes quick work of making cakes and looks so beautiful in the kitchen!! Need to adjust my beater height I think but other than that I think I have got the hang of it. I think I shall have to give her a name (ideas at the bottom of the page please!)…

Here is the recipe for my baking today if you want to give them a whirl! They are always demolished quickly in our house!

Yummy Mummy’s Coffee and Walnut Cakes

6oz/150g self raising flour,
6oz/150g Stork,
6oz/150g castor sugar,
3 eggs,
2 tsp of instant coffee,
75g chopped walnuts.

6oz icing sugar,
2oz Stork,
2 tsp of instant coffee.

  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/220C fan/gas mark 6.
  2. Mix the self raising flour, stork, castor sugar and eggs together.
  3. Boil the kettle and make up a small amount of strong black coffee with the 2 tsp of coffee (about 1/8th of a mug).
  4. Mix this quickly into the cake mixture and add the chopped walnut.
  5. Share between 12 cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until the top springs back when pressed.
  6. Whilst the cakes are cooling make the buttercream by mixing the icing sugar and Stork together. At this stage it will not be a smooth buttercream but should look more like breadcrumbs.
  7. Make up another small amount of strong black coffee with the 2 tsp of coffee (about 1/8th of a mug).
  8. Mix this into the buttercream and put into the fridge until it has thickened up a bit more.
  9. When the cakes are cooled, use a sharp knife to cut out the middle and fill with buttercream. Cut the cake you have removed in half to make little ‘wings’.

Instead of making these into butterfly cakes, you could make up 2-3 amounts of the buttercream and ice them as cupcakes! I took the quick option today I’m afraid as unpacking boxes was calling!!

I thought I would make a box for some of our new neighbours who kindly put a new house card through our letter box, welcoming us to the road. I hope they enjoy them!


Happy baking!
xxx

4 comments:

  1. Yummy Grandma26/11/2012, 23:07

    What a lovely idea!! I do think she needs a name!! Perhaps Daisy like the kitchen maid in our beloved Downton!!

    The cakes look beautiful in their box and is that a lovely sticker I can see as well - I am sure your new neighbours will love them (I know I would!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have decided that when I eventually move to Sussex, I'm moving in next door to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Viking , Wolf, Dacor Stove & Range Repair Northridge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. Dacor, Viking, Wolf, KitchenAid, Ovens Repair in VENTURA

    ReplyDelete