Wednesday 15 May 2013

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts!

These are one of my husbands favourite treats, so when I came across Nigella's recipe I had to give them a go. I actually used a bit less coconut than was in the recipe due to Budgens only having one box and they turned out great. Nigella suggests cooking them for 20 minutes until they start to brown, mine went brown within 5 minutes of cooking but were no way ready so I left them in for 20 minutes and they were a nice golden colour and continued cooking the middle when I took them out the oven! I also substituted the almonds for hazelnut (due to what was in my cupboard) and they tasted yummy.  This recipe is super easy and quick to whip up, and they look so pretty when they are baked!
So here we go...

Nigella's Coconut Macaroons

250g shredded coconut,
2 egg whites,
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar,
A pinch of salt,
1tsp of vanilla extract,
30g ground almonds,
100g castor sugar.

1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3.
2. Whisk the egg whites until just frothy and add the cream of tartar.
  3. Whisk until they are white and beginning to form peaks. 
4. Add the castor sugar, a spoonful at a time and whisk until the mixture forms soft peaks that will hold their shape (if you have a Kitchenaid (or similar) you can chuck all the sugar in at once and it will do it for you).
5. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix until it forms a sticky mixture that can be shaped.
6. Spoon out roundish balls onto a lined baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes.
 7. Leave to cool. I dipped the bottom of mine in melted chocolate (about 100g altogether) a la Mrs Crimble style!
Off to enjoy one now, happy baking!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment