Saturday 4 May 2013

Breakfast bars!

Since becoming pregnant with our 2nd baby I find that sometimes I really want something to nibble on and know that turning to the biscuits is not the best option to fill me up! Nigella posted this recipe on Facebook today so I decided to try it as they looked packed with fruit, nuts and seeds, and oats for lasting energy. As they use condensed milk rather than golden syrup, sugar and butter they don't have as much fat or sugar as regular flapjacks. This recipe is great as you can completely adapt what goes into it depending on what's in your cupboard/what you like, as long as you keep to the same proportions. Here is Nigella's original recipe:

Nigella's Breakfast Bars 

1 x 397g can condensed milk,
250g rolled oats,
75g shredded coconut,
100g dried cranberries (I swapped these for chopped dates),
125g mixed seeds (I used pumpkin, sesame, sunflower and linseed- make sure you don't use the savoury ones by mistake!),
125g natural unsalted peanuts (I swapped these for walnuts).

1. Preheat the oven to 130C/gas mark 1/2 and line a baking tin (I used a rectangular one).
2. Mix together the oats, fruit, seeds and nuts in a bowl.
3. Gently heat the condensed milk in a pan so it is just warm and a bit runnier (I cheated and did this in the microwave for 50 seconds, perfect and much quicker, plus less washing up!).
4. Mix the condensed milk thoroughly into the oats, fruit, seeds and nuts until well combined.
5. Press into the tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
6. Remove from the oven and leave for 15 minutes. Cut into 16 chunky bars and then leave to cool completely.





I am looking forward to one of these for my breakfast tomorrow, and maybe 11's too!!
You can find Nigella's recipe page here:
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/breakfast-bars-55 
xxx 

2 comments: