Friday 20 September 2013

Chocolate praline truffles!

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a chocolatier so decided I should give making hazelnut praline truffles a go! As a total amateur to chocolate making I decided to stick with a recipe for my first attempt and have got my suggestions for how I would improve it personally next time. This is the recipe I used:
You'll notice mine don't look anything like the pictures on there but they have probably made them loads of time (I'll tell myself that). Here's some pics of mine in the making and the final products, with a few tips and ideas for improvement along the way:
 Sugar dissolving in water to make caramel.
 Uh-oh, this recipe doesn't have enough water! I have just realised this is an Australian recipe and Australian 'cups' are slightly smaller than American cups (which I have) so that must be why!
 This is what happened to my 'caramel', lumps of hard sugar! Luckily I quickly added a good slug of water and it dissolved again...
 And turned into beautiful caramel, sorry saucepan!
Stirred in the hazelnuts (PS. buy blanched ones rather than bothering to roast and rub your own) to make the solid praline.
Utter decadence- chocolate ganache from dark chocolate, butter and cream. Next time I would make this with half milk and half dark chocolate as it's very rich and wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. 
 Whizzed up hazelnut praline.
 Chocolate ganache and hazelnut praline combined to make the filling for the truffles. 
Truffles rolled out and coated in white and milk chocolate. The white chocolate wasn't as easy to coat with as it started to melt the truffle which showed through on the outside, my husband said he thought it was intentional though and that he likes them best. Next time I would make them half the size the recipe suggests as they are HUGE! I'm not complaining though...

Looking forward to trying these again with all my improvements and hopefully a much nicer finish on them too, think being smaller would help that as they would be easier to coat, these are nearly the size of golf balls!

Happy chocolating!
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Delicious! I loved the white chocolate one - it went very well with the rich praline. Well done! Yummy Grandma xx

    ReplyDelete