Sunday 29 September 2013

Jason's WORLD FAMOUS ginger cake!

I was treated to this recipe at my Grandma's 90th birthday party this summer when my lovely cousin Charlotte made these as muffins, and I knew I needed to get my hands on this recipe! It was created by one of her work colleagues, Jason (who I've been told is an amazing baker), and he has kindly let me share it with you. 

The original recipe is designed to bake 2 x 2lb loaf tin cakes and I have used it to make 18 large muffins/cupcake size cakes.

Jason's WORLD FAMOUS ginger cake

2 mugs of self raising flour,
1 mug of sugar,
2 heaped tsp of ground ginger,
1 heaped tsp of bicarbonate of soda,
4oz/100g of Stork,
2 generous tbsp of golden syrup,
1 mug of boiling milk (I heated this in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes),
1 free range egg.

1. Preheat the oven to Electric 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 6.
2. Mix together the self raising flour, sugar, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda.
3. Add the Stork, golden syrup and milk and mix until smooth.
4. Add the egg and mix until well combined, it should resemble a runny batter with some bubbles.
5. Either pour into 2 lined 2lb loaf tins or spoon into 18 muffin cases (I made a bit of a mess doing this as the mix is runny, which led to a few odd shaped muffins. I used a knife to even them up after and eat the bits, what a hardship).
6. Bake the loaves for about 40 minutes and then leave to cool. I baked my muffins for about 25 minutes in an electric fan oven, you may find they need less time in a gas oven.

I decided to add rather messy lemon icing (made of icing sugar, a bit of hot water and lemon juice) to mine. 
This recipe is perfect for this time of year as the night's draw in and really make me feel all Christmassy. The cakes are soft, squidgy, gingery and delicious, I am definitely going to try it as a loaf cake soon too!!

Thank you Jason for letting me share and enjoy your recipe!
Happy baking!!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment