Wednesday 9 October 2013

Devil's food cake...sinful!!

I had a delicious piece of chocolate and orange Devil's food cake with some friends at the weekend so when my little man said he wanted to 'bake Daddy choc cake' I knew we would have to give a Devil's food cake a go.

Devil's food cake is the chocolate companion of angel food cake and red velvet cake, and is a light, moist, airy cake that uses cocoa and hot water as opposed to chocolate and milk. It also uses bicabonate of soda which (ready for the science part) raises the pH level making the cake a darker colour than normal chocolate cake. I used Nigella's recipe which can be found on her website here:

Instead of making a chocolate ganache though (due to the lack of 300g of dark chocolate in our house) we made chocolate buttercream with icing sugar, Stork and cocoa which was delicious and topped it with chocolate covered pretzels.

 Cocoa, sugar and boiling water.
 Creaming the Stork and sugar.
Adding the flour etc.
 Adding the cocoa mixture (I love my spatula!)
 Fresh from the oven.
Ready to eat!


I have to say it didn't last very long in our house!!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment