Sunday 12 January 2014

Kitchen cheats!

Being a busy Mum of 2 means that as much as I'd like to say everything to come from my kitchen is made from scratch, I won't lie, it isn't! I think there are some kitchen shortcuts that are quite frankly rubbish and not a patch on something homemade but here are my top 5 (in no particular order) that I think are well worth cheating on:

Carnation Caramel
 This is my ultimate cheat for banoffee pie, instant sweet and smooth caramel straight from the tin. I make my own for Millionaire's shortbread when it needs to be more set, but for anything with a runnier caramel this is my go-to product.

Chocolate Philadelphia
Perfect for chocolate cheesecake or chocolate cream cheese frostings, why would I bother making my own?! Also very delicious eaten from the tub with a spoon... 


Uncle Ben's Rice Pouches

I am RUBBISH at cooking rice, these pouches come in so many different lovely flavours and are ready in 2 minutes. No more rice stuck to the pan and mushy, or undercooked. Perfect everytime and useful in so many recipes.

Filo Pastry
Having watched this being made on the Great British  Bake Off, and by the lovely Paul Hollywood, I quickly came to the conclusion that buying it is the way forward. I'm sure making your own is lovely but is a lot of work and I know I wouldn't get it thin enough or would break it!

Betty Crocker's Chocolate Fudge Frosting

I am yet to find a recipe that makes anything as chocolatey, fudgy and delicious as this!! I think it is gorgeous, spreads easily and just tastes so yummy. If I could make something as good, I would! She does some other frostings that I wouldn't buy like vanilla buttercream (so easy to make at home!!) but this one would take a lot more work to create yourself and am yet to make anything as lush!

So, there's my top 5 kitchen cheats, 'fess up, what are yours?
Post your comments on this blog page or on my Facebook page:

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment