Monday 1 April 2013

Red onion marmalade and parmesan shortbread...

I decided to make my Mum and Dad a completely non chocolate/non Eastery Easter gift this year. As I know they love chutneys and nibbles I went for this delicious red onion marmalade and Nigella's parmesan shortbread. Both are so simple to make but very rewarding!
The recipe for the red onion marmalade with balsamic vinegar can be found here:


This site is exactly what is says on the tin 'pickles and preserves' and is chock full of recipes and tips, check it out! 

I love how this onion marmalade goes from crunchy onions to a sweet, sticky marmalade (sorry it fogged up my camera, it's that good!) I found this recipe made 1 jar (orginially a bonne mamon jam jar) but could easily be scaled up. I then finished my jar with a Cath Kidston cover and pretty label!
I decided on the perfect partner for it; Nigella's parmesan shortbread. I've meant to try these every since I saw her make them on her Christmas episode as they looked simple and very yummy. They are buttery and very cheesy and would be perfect for canapes or with a good cheeseboard! You could change the cheese in them to experiment with flavours and add herbs too. I made the dough the day before and took it out of the fridge 10 minutes before baking them. The recipe (and a video of the lovely Nigella making them) can be found here:
 

And here are my efforts:
Enjoy!
xxx

4 comments:

  1. Yummy Grandma01/04/2013, 20:55

    The shortbread is delicious and full of flavour. Still to try the onion marmalade but it looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed them! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love red onion marmalade so I'll certainly be giving this recipe a try and the shortbread looks delicious so I guess I'll be making that too.
    Thank you Yummy mummy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy them both! x

    ReplyDelete