Saturday 20 October 2012

Man shall not live by bread alone...

...but it is rather yummy!
“If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens.” --Robert Browning
I cannot imagine life without bread! It is definitely part of my 5 a day, and although my Grandma says it will give you a tummy ache, I love it hot and fresh from the oven, with real butter for a real treat!

This morning I have been baking some of Sarah Cook's Fruit and Spice Soda bread, which is now being devoured by my husband. I love how the oven works it's magic as a big doughy ball topped with sugar enters the oven, and emerges as a yummy loaf of bread! This recipe is really easy and quick to make, and the bread is delicious hot, cold or warm with jam, cheese, cold meat etc.! I love it with runny french cheese, apples and grapes. I have put both imperial and metric measure for this as although I like to work in ozs, reminding me of the balance scales my Mum had when I was a child, I know some people have moved on!
Fruit and Spice Soda Bread

100g/4oz porridge oats,
25g/1oz butter,
200g/7oz plain flour,
200g/7oz wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting,
100g/4oz caster sugar,
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda,
1 1/2 tsp mixed spice,
1 tsp salt,
50g/2oz raisins,
50g/2oz sultanas,
50g/2oz stoned dates, finely chopped,
3 tbsp mixed peel,
450ml/16 floz buttermilk,
3-4 tbsp demerara sugar.

1. Heat the oven to 200/180 fan/gas mark 6.
2. Rub the butter into the porridge oats.
3. Stir in the flours, caster sugar, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice, salt, raisins, sultanas, dates and mixed peel.
4. Pour over the buttermilk and quickly stir it in with a knife.
5. Tip it out onto a floured surface and bring together into a ball. 
6. Transfer to a flour dusted baking tray and scatter over the demerara sugar, gently pressing it into the top.
7. Use a sharp, flour dusted knife to mark a big cross in the top and bake for 30-35 mins until crusty on top.
Enjoy warm or cold, best thickly sliced!

Happy baking!
xxx


2 comments: