Wednesday 9 January 2013

Comfort pudding!

I suppose most 'proper' puddings are comfort puddings but I do think fruit crumble is ultimate comfort food. A bowl of this, custard (controversial with my work friends I know!) or ice cream, PJs, snuggled up on the sofa, perfect! There are millions different ways of making crumble and this is mine:

Yummy Mummy's Apple Crumble

Apples:
6 cooking apples,
2 tbsp sugar (or to taste),

Crumble topping:
5oz plain flour,
3oz soft brown sugar,
3.5oz Stork,

I also added to mine this time:
2oz oats,
2oz ground almonds.
But you can add any extras you like, cinnamon, walnuts, sultanas etc.

1. Peel and cube the apples. Put into a pan with 2tsbp of water and simmer gently until the apples are softened. Add the sugar to taste.
2. Mix together the crumble topping until it resembles breadcrumbs. If you are doing this my hand, I would rub in the butter and sugar first, then add the other ingredients.
3. Sprinkle a thick layer of the crumble mixture over the top of the apples.
4. You can make this in advance and once the apples are cooled, store in the fridge. When you are ready to bake yours put it in the oven for about 40-50 minutes at 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6. I usually cover the top with foil for about 30 minutes then uncover it for the crumble to crisp up. Lush!!

I am looking forward to baking this in the oven tonight!!

And here's one I made earlier...

I usually make double the crumble topping and freeze half, very quick and easy pudding at another time!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment