Sunday 27 January 2013

Z is for Zebra!

Had another go at making a zebra cake, with a different recipe today. Thought I'd share this recipe, some pics of my efforts and my ideas for improvement with you. If you've never heard of a zebra cake it's really just a fancy name for the hotly tipped '2013 marble cake'. The idea is by dolloping two different colour (and flavour if you wish) cake batters into a tin on top of each other zebra stripes are created in the cake. 

Here is the link for the recipe I used:

Here are some pics of my cake at various stages. I didn't use the topping suggested in the recipe and just went for a dark chocolate drizzle.



 




I was really pleased that it had zebra stripes in it and is a nice moist cake, although if you eat a big piece, like me, it can feel a bit claggy by the end. I'd like to try this recipe with my one sponge cake mixture and see how that works! I also think I need to make it even pinker next time as the raspberry stripes aren't pink enough for my liking! I would also make the stripes wider by putting in two dollops of each colour instead of one. Overall, I enjoyed trying something new and I think it looks very effective for a tea party, I shall definitely be giving this another go and trying more recipes! Let me know how you get on trying out a zebra cake and if you find a cracking recipe!
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Yummy Grandma27/01/2013, 22:36

    That looks amazing - more zebra than marble I think - very clever. I expect it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete