Tuesday 8 January 2013

Winter warmer!!

UPDATED
This time of year screams comfort food to me, roast dinners, toad in the hole, crumbles, pies and apple cake! I am a huge fan of apple cakes (surely it's one of my five a day?) and there are so many out there. I am going to try out a few over the next few weeks, including my Gran's apple and almond cake, and a recipe the lovely Karen has suggested for a squidgy apple cake. This one is a tried and tested recipe that is soft, squidgy, moreish and the streusel topping is divine.


Good Food's Apple Streusel Cake

For the topping:
50g/2oz pecans (you can substitute any other nuts you like, I used walnuts this time),
50g/2oz plain flour,
25g/1oz dark brown sugar,
25g/1oz butter (I used Stork).

For the cake:
140g/5oz butter, softened, (I used Stork),
140g/5oz light brown sugar,
2 large eggs,
1tsp baking powder,
1tsp mixed spice,
3tbsp milk,
500g/1lb 2oz eating apples, peeled, cored and cubed.

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4.
2. Blitz the nuts in a food processor then mix in the other ingredients for the topping. Put into a bowl and put aside.
3. Mix together all the ingredients for the cake (I put all the ingredients bar the apple in the Kitchen Aid to mix, then just stirred in the apples.
4. Grease a cake tin. I used a loose bottom tin as last time I made this cake in a 'normal' cake tin it really came up high and nearly spilt over the top as you can see in the picture! Still tasted yummy though!
5. Spoon the cake mix into the tin and sprinkle the streusel topping on, covering the cake mix.
6. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, check it is done by inserting a skewer which should come out cleanly. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
This is my favourite part of the cake!!!
Enjoy!
xxx
Here is the cake in a loose bottom tin, works much better for this recipe I think you'll agree...

 

2 comments:

  1. Yummy Grandma08/01/2013, 19:46

    Wow - that looks delicious!! I will have to try the recipe out very soon!!

    ReplyDelete