Wednesday 30 January 2013

Peek-a-boo!!

It's a bit sad how excited I was before cutting this cake open but it feels like Christmas, not knowing what's inside (even though I did know)!! If you've not heard of peek-a-boo cakes before the concept is simple and really fun. Simply, it is a cake that looks really plain on the outside but has something exciting inside when you cut it open. This was the first peek-a-boo cake I've made and I am really pleased with the results. I would definitely recommend having a go as it is actually really simple to do and it tastes divine. I used this recipe from Good Food magazine:


  Once you've had a read of the recipe, here are some pics to show how I went about putting mine together!

2 almond and 2 rose sponge cakes
 


Cut each cake into 3 equal rings


 
Put together the cakes, alternating the colours so you have 4 'targets'

 Stack the 4 cakes together covering them with melted apricot jam as you go

 Cover with marzipan
 Peek-a-boo!

This cake is massive and will serve loads of people. It is actually quite light to eat but all you need is a small slice! Hope this inspires some more people to have a go at a peek-a-boo cake! Got to think what I shall try next!
Happy baking!
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Yummy Grandma30/01/2013, 21:47

    This is a masterpiece and tastes delicious too!! What a clever idea and really impressive!! Well done!! xx

    ReplyDelete